‘Gielis Transformations in design and engineering’
University of Antwerp, Bio-Engineering Sciences –
Gielis Transformations in design and engineering
Gielis’ Transformations (a.k.a. Superformula) are a generalization of the Pythagorean Theorem. It not only defines the circle, as Pythagoras does, but circles, polygons, starfish, shells, flowers, or superquadrics….; an infinite number of 2D and 3D shapes can be described in a few variables and numbers only.
GT have been used in over 100 widely different applications in science, education and technology. In the field of design and engineering they have been used, among others, for the optimization of wind turbine blades, antennas, nanoparticles and lasers.
In this presentation the following advantages and methods will be highlighted:
• Easy modeling with the computer as a creative sparring partner,
• Extremely compact (and uniform) representations, also of complex shapes,
• Procedural modeling (www.changingthe.game),
• Multi-objective and topology optimization,
• Solution of boundary value problems and mesh-free modeling.
University of Antwerp, Department of Biosciences Engineering
The Antenna Company International (www.antennacompany.com)
Date: 2019-Jul-04 Time: 14:00:00 Room: INESC-ID Lisboa Room 0.20
For more information: